This awesome twist on an old favorite will have everybody reaching for seconds.
Yield: 12 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 15-ounce container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 bag frozen Tater Tots
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef or poultry over medium-high heat. Sprinkle on the garlic powder, mixing it into the meat.
- When the meat is browned, drain excess grease and return meat to skillet.
- Add marinara sauce and then add the water to the skillet. Stir until combined, then turn off burner.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella, ¼ cup grated parmesan, all of the ricotta and the beaten egg.
- Pour enough of the meat sauce to lightly coat the bottom of a 13-x-9 pan. Top with a layer of tater tots, then the ricotta mixture, and a layer of meat sauce. Cover with another layer of tots, add more meat sauce, then sprinkle on the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tots are lightly browned.