Bring your pizza dinner up a notch with this homemade treat that’s an instant favorite with kids and adults alike.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 1 package ready-made pizza dough
- 12 ounces sliced deli pastrami, cut into long, thin strips
- 2 Spanish onions, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 3 medium-sized sour pickles, finely diced (optional)
- ¼ cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce, for drizzling
- Oil, for sautéing
- Heat three tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté diced onions for 20 minutes or until golden.
(Tip: to achieve perfectly golden onions, it’s best to keep flame on high for the first 5 minutes, and then lower to medium-low heat.)
- Add pastrami strips and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, garlic, black pepper, sugar, mustard and pickles.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread a thin layer of the mayonnaise mixture over pizza crust, then top with the pastrami mixture. Drizzle with the barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
If you’re left with more mayonnaise mixture than you can use, add 2 tbsp of water and 1 tsp of sugar for a delicious salad dressing. Makes a wonderful and healthy side to round out your dinner! You can swap the pastrami for pepperoni slices or your favorite deli meat.