You don’t need to be a vegan to enjoy these delicious sandwiches!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 15.5 ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium-sized onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a food processor, pulse half of the kidney beans.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the chili powder, sugar, oregano and red pepper flakes (if using) to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir the mashed beans and the remaining whole beans into the tomato mixture. Heat thoroughly and serve mixture on the sandwich rolls.