How about serving up a taste of the Southwest at the dinner table tonight?
Yield: 4 servings
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Total prep time: 1 hour
Price per serving: $1.75
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into two cutlets each
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (8.8-oz.) pkg. microwaveable long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- In a small bowl, mix 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon coriander, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and cayenne pepper. Rub each cutlet with ½ teaspoon olive oil and spice mixture. Refrigerate for one hour, or up to 24 hours.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet and cook chicken cutlets over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes a side. Remove from heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet and cook pepper and onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle mixture with remaining spices.
- Add corn kernels and garlic, stirring thoroughly until heated, about 1 minute. Pour in cooked rice and stir until heated, about two minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro, lime zest and lime juice.